Philosophical Question (GnuCash)

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
31 Jan 2003 14:55:56 -0700

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 06:46, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> My two cents again:
> I'd also like to try GnuCash.  I use QuickBooks right now, but the most
> annoying thing (other than the fact that it runs in Windows) is that they
> keep trying to wring extra money out of you.  Every year there's a new set of
> tax tables, and they're not cheap.  And they're always pushing new versions
> and changing the file formats.  I got tired of paying for the new tax tables
> - since I'm my company's only employee, it was a small convenience.  I
> finally just took the IRS Employers' Guide and used it to do a spreadsheet to
> calculate my withholding, then I'd enter all those figures in manually.  I
> would've already converted to GnuCash, but the QB file formats are different
> than Quicken's, and the last time I checked, there were no converters for
> QB's files.  If I can ever make the time, maybe I'll look into working on
> that myself.
>
> Vaughn Treude

I'm using GNUCash I *love* it. If you're looking for a replacement for
quicken I'd say easy. If you're a quickbooks user....I'd say depends.
1.8 should be released sometime next week. But gnucash is *hard* to
install. Its like all the nightmares people associate with installing on
Linux. For me it was worth learning how though. With the new Account
Payable / Account Receivable accounts. The invoice / bill druid and the
scheduled transactions. It has now become the only finance tool I need
(oh did I mention that you can connect it to gnuTimeTracker to auto
create Invoices?). Its great but its not an out of the box solution. I
*often* need to pull in support from CVS. For instance I *think*
Quickbooks can export in OFX format. And if you have the OFX library
installed Gnucash can read that but you have to compile support for it
in. So if you like playing with code, by all means get gnucash. If not
you may want to wait till your distro has the features you need.

--
Carl Parrish (cparrish@carlparrish.com)
http://www.carlparrish.com