Presario 900 X Problems

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:59:57 -0500

Hello all:
	A week or two ago I posted some stuff about a Compaq I was trying to install
Linux on.  After a lot of trouble, I was finally successful - installed
Mandrake 8.0 with a 2.2 kernel, because 2.4 couldn't handle the IDE chipset.
There was a second problem that I didn't fix which I'd like to address now:
I couldn't set the screen resolution higher than 800x600, even though I know
it goes up to 1024x768 (that's the default resolution in the XP installation
that came with the machine.)  The problem may be with the video chipset -
it's an ATI Rage Mobility U1 - there are a lot of versions of ATI drivers, I
can tell you, and not many references on Google to that specific version of
Mobility.  There isn't a reference to the Mobility U1 in the list of graphics
cards in the Mandrake control center.  However, I did find something on
Google that said the Mobility U1 should use ATI's Radeon M6 driver.  Mandrake
does have a Radeon card in the list, but whenever I select it and try to
change the resolution, it gives me an error that says "screens not found" or
something like that.  (Mandrake doesn't select the right card by default - it
selects 3D Labs Permedia, on which I can't change the resolution either.)
	I was wondering if I might need to install a radeon kernel module.  I did
find a "radeon.o" module in the 2.2.19 kernel support on the Mandrake CD.
The problem was that when I tried to do an "insmod", it complained about a
whole bunch of undefined symbols.  I'm not sure how I can find where those
symbols are located, and if I do I'm not sure if I'm pursuing the right path.
	Anyone have a similar experience that could shed some light on this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Vaughn Treude

Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Software Design and Development