redhat network problems

Darrell Shandrow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:12:09 -0700

Hi Brian,

Well, first, since you can ping and nmap shows that some ports are open, we
know we do not have a problem with basic IP networking.  In other words, the
problem is not anywhere on the bottom 4 layers of the OSI reference model.
This helps to isolate your trouble.

I can see two possible reasons why so many ports aren't open.  First,
perhaps you have firewall rules in place?  Red Hat is doing a better job of
implementing very high security by default.  When you installed the OS, did
you select high security?  If so, you might want to go back into the setup
utility and change to medium security.  Don't select "no firewall" unless
you're 100 percent sure that's what you want to do!  Second, perhaps you
have installed your OS with many services simply not running?  You can use
the ps command to determine what processes are running on your system.  For
example, if you wish to be running a web server, the following ps command
should show processes named httpd:
ps -ef |grep httpd
If something isn't running, check out the various run levels in
/etc/rc.d/rcX.d where X represents a run level such as 3 or 5.  In those
directories, you'll see symbolic links to corresponding scripts in
/etc/rc.d/init.d.  Scripts starting with S represent programs being started,
while scripts starting with K represent those being shut down or killed.
The numbers represent the order in which the programs are started at boot
time.  An example is S15httpd and K15httpd found in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d linked
to the corresponding real files with the same name in /etc/rc.d/init.d.

Hope this helps you move in the right direction.