RH7.3 Lost Root Password

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:44:06 -0700 (MST)

Am 28. Jan, 2003 schw=E4tzte MIqbal so:

> I am very new to the Linux.  I just made a foolish thing and changed the
> root password to a complicated one.  Now I just do not remember it anymor=
e.
> Can some one help me point to direct me how to changed the root password.
> It will be a great help.

This will require a reboot.

When booting you'll get a prompt asking which kernel to boot if you're usin=
lilo. Hold down an <alt> key to get the system to pause at that point.

Choose one of the available kernel names and add " init=3D/bin/sh" to the e=
nd,
then hit return.

If you're using grub someone else will have to explain how to get to this
point.

After the system boots you will have a root prompt. At this point you need
the following commands:

mount -o remount,rw /
passwd
mount -o remount,ro /
exec /sbin/init

The last will let the system finish booting to the normal run level.

If this doesn't work and you have an install CD, we can walk you through
zeroing out the root passwd.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
#  We grow old by deserting our ideals.
#  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm
#  wrinkles the soul.  -- Samuel Ullman