proftpd message and mysql both on port21?

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:50:15 -0700

> In my root mail msg I see the following, which explains why I can't get
> ftp going.
>
>  --------------------- proftpd-messages Begin ------------------------
>
> **Unmatched Entries**
> rotor.byerlyelectric.com - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address
> already i
> n use
> rotor.byerlyelectric.com - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you
> are conf
> igured correctly.

My guess is that some program is already bound to port 21.
1) identify the culprit:
Try "telnet localhost 21". It should saw what version of software is
running.
2) Check inetd.conf
It is probably something in inetd.conf. Don't forget to -HUP it once you
edit the inetd.conf file.
3) Check init.d script for ftp daemons
Perhaps some other FTP daemon is bound already (check init.d scripts for
anything related to ftp).
4) Once it is gone, verify it is really dead.
"telnet localhost 21" again. You should get "no connection".
5) Start proftpd, if it still breaks, start checking the logs
see daemon.log, syslog, messages depending on your distro....

Hope this helps!
Tony