160 GB win/linux storage

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:38:10 -0700

> I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to best format a 160 GB
partition so a dual boot windows 2000 pro / linux 2.4.20 system could have
the data available for both with reliable read/write access.  I need it to
be 1 partition because I'll be storing everything there that I want to
keep and I'm not sure what is going to grow fastest of what I collect.  I
tried ntfs which I formatted in linux with ntfstools and windows
recognized it ok, but after writing lots of data to it it would refuse to
mount it R/W in linux even with R/W options in the kernel.  So are there
any other filesystems that I can use?  Fat32 won't handle the size, are
there any good ext2/ext3/reiserfs drivers for win2k that aren't
commercial?

I have Win2K and Linux on my laptop. I decided against 1 huge partition
since I didn't want any Windows malware to blow away my Linux files. So I
have a few Fat32 partitions, and an ext3 partition for Linux.

Hope this helps...
Tony Wasson