I heard that the web was slow today.

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:47:53 -0700 (MST)

James Bunnell said:
> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 12:35, der.hans wrote:
>
>> It is directly m$'s fault. m$ quietly installs m$sql for several
>> software packages. It's part of their m$de that's reportedly installed
>> for certain releases of packages like visio, m$ project, and m$
>> office. So not only does it default to a bad setup, but people don't
>> even know it's installed. They should know, but that's discouraged in
>> the m$ce world...
>
> So, I can blame Debian directly for allowing me to install XFree86 4.2.1
> and breaking my config? And if I dont run apt-get or up2date often
> enought its still Debian and Redhat's fault? Because they release
> updates more often than M$. Bleh.
>
> Great. same logic.

I will have to say Microsoft can not be blamed directly but can be blamed
indirectly.  The two biggest areas to blame are as Hans points out
installing the world by default and thus letting an administrator get away
without knowing what is on their machine.  You site Debian here, but
honestly Debian doesnt install much if anything other than the core unless
you TELL it to.  That is why people say Debian sucks.  Is Redhat to be
blamed for all the crap it needlessly installs by default to make it
easier for an administrator?  Absolutely!

However, the biggest reason M$ can be blamed is bloat.  For example to fix
about half the holes from Windows XP, I would have do download a 300+ MB
Service Pack that pretty much upgraded almost every file on my system as
well as agree to a new EULA that was RADICALLY different than the one I
agreed to when getting the operating system.  As Hans pointed out earlier
everytime SSH has a new exploit.  I simply can run apt-get update; apt-get
upgrade and the exploit has been covered.

-derek