the best laptop for linux

Eric Andresen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
27 Jan 2003 21:30:59 -0700

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 05:53, ahologounis@penguinnetworking.com wrote:
> I was wondering who has had success wth linux on a laptop(any laptop).
> A friend has a compaq laptop and for the most part it works, except for
> energy management and encrypted wireless.
>
> Is there a laptop available(preferrably for less than 1500 dollars) that
> runs linux perfectly?
>
> Anthony

I don't believe there's such a thing as perfectly. I run gentoo linux on
my HP Pavillion xt155, and it works fine. Power management is seriously
lacking because of the bios using ACPI rather than APM, and as such I
have a significantly shorter battery life in linux than in windows. Also
I currently do not have support (or rather, know of support) for
"sleeping" the system with ACPI, so I simply turn it off.
The video card it has (ATI IGP 340M) has worked fine for me using vesa
drivers (framebuffer and XFree86), but wasn't detected with the ATI
drivers.

So.. YMMV

--
--Eric Andresen