I heard that the web was slow today.

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:59:10 -0700

I had a good chuckle when I called Cox to find out why I couldn't connect to
the Internet *at all* on Saturday (couldn't even get an IP address from
DHCP).  The recorded message I got before speaking with a tech support
person stated something to the effect of "Cox' network is down nationwide
due to a serious global worm attack.  We don't have local connectivity to do
troubleshooting.  We have no ETA when service will be restored! The sky is
falling!! The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have been sighted!!!  Oh, the
humanity!!!!  Please stay tuned to your local news for updates on this
attack."  So I hung up and turned on CNN Headline News just in time to catch
the story about a relatively harmless worm that had hit the Internet, but
had done hardly any damage, and had mostly been dealt with already.

I thought about calling Cox back and demand answers, but decided to go
outside and enjoy the beautiful weather instead.  My connection was working
when I tried again later.

~Jeff