GDM theme not showing on remote hosts + GCONF

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
25 Jan 2003 10:52:00 -0700

--=-G6MGHlgS1+B2vQuY+G0w

> Thanks Ted, you are correct. Also your advice helped me determine that=20
> there is a setting in gdmconf as follows, gdm-setup added an entry:

Cool.

> gdmsetup causes changes to happen instantly, is it running gdm-restart=20
> or similiar or is the gdm.conf entry linked to a gconf key?
>=20
> This has presented me with a problem finding the actual gconf keys if=20
> they exist. Is there a way to find them without tweezing through the gdm=20
> source? I have grepped through the gconf files but with no luck. Nor can=20
> I figure out where in the hierarchy they might have stuck it.
>=20
> Better yet is there a general way to find gconf keys and where they=20
> might be stuck in the hierarchy?

I'm guessing that GDM isn't running Gconf because the lines you posed
were in .INI format, and every implementation of Gconf that I've seen
uses XML (Gconf has pluggable backends, so it is theoretically possible
to have an INI based Gconf, I have no clue why you'd want that though).=20
As far as I am aware the INI file stuff was left in GNOME but marked as
deprecated.  I'm guessing that's not an issue, but I'll answer Gconf
questions anyway (mostly because I think Gconf is really cool :)

Where the gconf keys are stored is specified by a file:

/etc/gconf/2/path

Which will have several places for keys.  Most likely there will be
three: a defaults path, a mandatory path, and then a place for users
settings (usually ~/.gconf).  Why have three places for data?  Because
this allows system administrators to help users on a global level.=20
Let's figure that for some reason the web proxy changes on the network,
a system administrator could change that key in the /etc/ area and then
it would change for all users, for all programs that use the proxy and
Gconf.  This is a lot better than trying to look through a billion dot
files in each user's home account.

So great, you've created a repository with a million keys, how do I know
what they all do?  Well, well behaved programs, when they install a key
will include a schema for those keys.  Those are typically placed in
/etc/gconf/schemas.  These include a textual description of the key,
along with a default value.  And, because it's all XML
internationalization comes for free, and is included.

Well, that's probably way more than you wanted to know about Gconf, but
it's so cool I love to talk about it.  Sorry to those on modems :)

		Have fun,
			Ted

--=-G6MGHlgS1+B2vQuY+G0w

--=-G6MGHlgS1+B2vQuY+G0w--