160 GB win/linux storage

Garrett plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:30:55 -0700

You want Windows 2000 to be able to read and write to your linux partitions?
For safety's sake I think you should make seperate partitions for your
operating systems core files, then make a stand-alone partition (70GB or
so?) which both OSes will use with R/W. This way you have a shared data area
without risking damage to the partitions containing either OS.

I haven't used the NTFS write-support in the kernels, as I consider it
"untrusted". The fact that it says "DANGEROUS!!!" next to the menu option
also encourages me to avoid it. Being that it's untrusted, I recommend
against letting it write to critical NTFS partitions.

So far as having 2000 be able to read ext2, I've never heard of such a
thing. If you find something like that, please post a link.

Garrett

----- Original Message -----
From: "simply service" <simplyservice@mobile.rogers.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 7:03 PM
Subject: 160 GB win/linux storage

> I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to best format a 160 GB
partition so a dual boot windows 2000 pro / linux 2.4.20 system could have
the data available for both with reliable read/write access.  I need it to
be 1 partition because I'll be storing everything there that I want to keep
and I'm not sure what is going to grow fastest of what I collect.  I tried
ntfs which I formatted in linux with ntfstools and windows recognized it ok,
but after writing lots of data to it it would refuse to mount it R/W in
linux even with R/W options in the kernel.  So are there any other
filesystems that I can use?  Fat32 won't handle the size, are there any good
ext2/ext3/reiserfs drivers for win2k that aren't commercial?