Setting Ethernet port modes

Simper, Brian D plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:24:55 -0700

I will be assembling machines with multiple network cards but I will =
need to be able to individually customize the mode of each Ethernet =
port.  For example, one machine might have three Ethernet cards but eth0 =
is 100/full, eth1 is 100/half, and eth2 might be auto sense.

One solution that I have heard of uses three different network cards =
each with their own driver.  Each driver is manually set which allows =
each port to be customized.  However, I will be using standardized =
equipment and each network card will be identical and have the same =
driver.  So this option will not work for me.

Can the kernel be tweaked to allow loading multiple copies of the same =
driver each pointed at a different port?  Can each port be set manually =
to a different setting?  Is there some hidden config file that does this =
of which I am not aware?  Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Brian