LAMP web server

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:39:15 -0700 (MST)

Am 22. Jan, 2003 schw=E4tzte James Bunnell so:

> and how will an academic and research distro compete with ms? it takes
> money and debian dont have it. and it takes innovation, and i dont see
> where debian has that either. bah.

You must still be living in dependency hell, then :).

Debian designs the dist.

I guess maybe none of it is 'innovation' because package management,
dependency management, build clusters, installs that don't blow away local
configs, fall through config decisions, etc. aren't really new, they're jus=
rehashing old ideas with enough horsepower to actually do what was thought
of decades ago.

But by that token we probably haven't had any really innovation since the
twist tie, er the shoelace, er the rope, er the cord, er the knot, oh wait
we go that from tangled hair... :)

All Free Software together is in competition with closed, proprietary
software. Even the *BSDs which help prop software via holes in their
licensing schemes, for which Steve Jobs is grateful.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling somethin=
g."
#   -- Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride