Help, how do I recover from: Kylix 3 install kills MD9 rpm database

Gene Holmerud plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:52:42 -0800 (PST)

--0-119307420-1043293962=:87944

Thanks Craig & Kevin

--- Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@qwest.net> wrote:
> >>rpm has commands to rebuild or initiate the rpm
> database to fix errors like
> >>this.  My guess is that Kylix hasn't been updated
> to work properly with rpm4.
Could be.  The Borland docs & their phone support only
mention MD8.2.  See below.  However, users on their
forum note that 9.0 works, if installed under a user
rather than as root (other pros & cons for either).  I
was able to install as a user, but a lot of
functionality was missing (something their phone
support said happens).  But the rpm db damage still is
there.

> >>man rpm
> >>
> >>rpm --initdb
> >>or
> >>rpm --rebuilddb

> > redhat 8.0 would require...
> >
> > pkill rpm
> >
> > rm /var/lib/rpm/__*.db
> >
> > rpm --rebuilddb
>
> Yep.  Didn't think about those steps, though RH8
> wouldn't be the only distro
> that would require that to reinitialize the RPM
> database.

I tried the above prior to one of my full installs to
recover.  The rebuilddb gave an error msg and aborted.

The 1st attachment to this reply is a post from
Mandrake's archive about recovering from this problem
using db_load & db_dump (from BSD).  It too failed.
> > BUT
> >
> > I think that there is a problem with installing
> packages built for rpm
> > -v3 with rpm -v4
> >
> > is it an older version of kylix?
No, only MD9 & K3 have been on this Lap.

> Hmm, Borlands own website says that Mandrake 9 is a
> Certified Distro from them
> for Kylix 3, so I guess it wouldn't be on old
> version.  I wonder what is wrong
> since they list RH7.2, MK8.2 and Suse 7.3 as
> Supported.
>
> http://www.borland.com/kylix/pdf/kyl3_sysreqs.pdf

I've only seen MD8.2 in their docs, only the users on
newsgroups.borland.com mention 9.

The 2nd attachment is Mandrake's support suggestion,
of which I recognize very little of, or know what it
will do.  But it's worth a try.

Meanwhile, I'm downloading 8.2 iso images

Thanks again,
Gene

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
--0-119307420-1043293962=:87944

 cvd : 19/10 10:53 : Incident created
Hi people,

I was upgrading a Mdk8.2-machine to Mdk9.0, but something went wrong. I do not know exactly what went wrong, because I was doing it remote and in a 'screen'. But now, when I try to install something, I get the following message:

rpmdb: Program version 4.0.14 doesn't match environment version 3.3.11
error: db4 error(22) from dbenv->open: Invalid argument
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Can someone tell me how to fix this? Tia!

sweller : 19/10 02:58 : Reply received
Firstly try: rpm --rebuilddb

If that doesn't work you'll have to dump your rpm database and reload then
try a rebuild.

To do that:
cd /var/lib/rpm
rm __db*
mv Packages Packages-ORIG
db_dump Packages-ORIG | db_load Packages
rpm --rebuilddb

Obviously if you haven't got db_dump available then you have another minor
problem, as you won't be able to install the rpm of it either.

In that case, I suggest you got to sleepycat.com and download a tar ball of
the source and then compile db_dump and db_load.

http://sleepycat.com/update/snapshot/db-4.1.24.tar.gz

- Si
--0-119307420-1043293962=:87944

Mandrake Expert:

 alans : 22/01 01:05 : Reply received     try starting your system with nodma and try disabling apic in your bios. also
try entering noapic at the beginning of the bootup as well as nodma, press
<esc> at the splash screen and type:

linux noapic nodma <enter>

i have nothing to do with phone support.
--
Alan -- MandrakeSoft Support Team :)
--0-119307420-1043293962=:87944--