LAMP web server

Eric Lee Green plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:01:24 -0700

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 08:37 pm, Kevin Brown wrote:
> I'm just curious.  What is your hostility towards RH/MK/Suse?

Not hostility, just fact. They require "X" to be installed in order to manage
them (with the possible exception of SuSE, I haven't tried SuSE in a while).
If you're trying to install a very small embedded system without "X", it
takes a lot of work to strip Red Hat down to do that (I haven't tried it with
any of the others). Debian, on the other hand, is quite installable and
maintainable without "X" or "X" capabilities. Same with Slackware.

This doesn't make Red Hat or Mandrake bad, of course (I'm typing this at a
Mandrake system, and work with Red Hat daily). Just not ideal for all
situations.

--
Eric Lee Green          GnuPG public key at http://badtux.org/eric/eric.gpg
          mailto:eric@badtux.org  Web: http://www.badtux.org