Clustering VS. Mainframe

Lee Einer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:54:50 -0700

The attached link to the Scientific American article on clustering may
shed some light-

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000E238B-33EC-1C6F-84A9809EC588EF21&pageNumber=2&catID=2

Linux clusters are built cheap to go fast. The article cites a cluster
built in 1994 for approximately $40,000 that was the functional
equivalent of a $400,000 supercomputer.  The article also indicates that
identical pcs are not required to assemble a cluster. The Stone Souper
Computer discussed in the article ran a hodgepodge  of 486s, Pentiums
and Alphas on the same cluster.

Lee Einer