KDE magic

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:12:15 -0700

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003 4:09 PM, Craig White wrote:

> On my home computer, I can 'auto-paste' in KDE by
> highlighting on one window and mouse-wheel-click in another.
>
> This newly installed system (RH 8.0 / KDE 3.0?) doesn't do that.
>
> I can't find an option for that in KDE Control panel. Where's
> the magic?

Does the Mouse0 section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file look like this?

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I believe having a Protocol of "PS/2" instead of "IMPS/2" causes the
behavior you describe.

It used to be that every time I upgraded or installed a new version of
RedHat, I had to manually edit the X config file and restart X in order to
get proper wheel-scroll and wheel-click behavior with my Microsoft infrared
wheel mouse.  When I upgraded to RedHat8.0 recently, however, I actually
paid attention (which was a new thing for me) and changed the Mouse type
from the default ("Generic PS/2 Mouse" or some such) to one of the
IntelliMouse options (can't remember which one) and my scroll wheel worked
correctly after the install-- without having to muck with X's configuration
file.

HTH.  HAND.  YMMV.  IIRC, IANAL.

~Jeff