Linux for the Greens

Jim plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
21 Jan 2003 16:21:12 -0700

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 15:22, David Huerta wrote:
> No offense intended, but this just sounds like some elements in the Green
> party are simply seeing Linux as something to make them a little more
> h4rdc0r3 2 th4 m4x.  Not that I don't support the move, but is there any
> practical reason for it?  I do web design myself, and I can say that it
> will be hard for someone used to M$ Frontpage or Dreamweaver to start
> coding in VI or Emacs.

There could be lots or reasons for anyone, including the Greens, to
consider alternatives to MS.  I wont repeat them all here because you
all know them.  The important point is that they are willing to look at
alternatives.  Why ahouldmn't PLUG and/or AZOTO help convince them that
they have viable alternatives?

As far as Vi oe Emacs goes, there are excellent tools out there to build
and maintain web sites and they don't cost a small fortune in licensing
fees.

Fundamentally, if someone wants to do a better job presenting themselves
on the web and save money in the process, we should help them.  They are
probably all volunteers and they will take our words, ideas, and
suggestions out to their real jobs and real lives.
--
 Jim

 Freedom is all we really want