Linux for the Greens

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:11:01 -0700 (MST)

Am 21. Jan, 2003 schw=E4tzte David Huerta so:

> No offense intended, but this just sounds like some elements in the Green
> party are simply seeing Linux as something to make them a little more
> h4rdc0r3 2 th4 m4x.  Not that I don't support the move, but is there any
> practical reason for it?  I do web design myself, and I can say that it
> will be hard for someone used to M$ Frontpage or Dreamweaver to start
> coding in VI or Emacs.

Also on this, we kinda got off the important parts. Web servers are hosted
somewhere. For AZGP.org that's cagreens.org, which is running apache.

"Apache/1.3.26 Server at cagreens.org Port 80"

Where we need to concentrate our efforts are their desktops and the
applications they use.

We also need to push the Freedom thing and remind them that Nader has
publicly criticized the m$ monopoly. They can support that monopoly or they
can use software from another source.

"We uphold the belief that all people are entitled to life, liberty and the
pursuit of happiness and deserve equal treatment regardless of class, sex,
race, religion, citizenship, age or sexual preference."

e.g. Freedom

"Greens believe in direct participation by all people in the environmental,
political, and economic decisions that affect their lives. Leaders are held
accountable to those they represent.  Grassroots community involvement
builds a free and prosperous society inhabited by an empowered population."

We need the Freedom to have direct participation. We need to show that thos=
they represent want Free Software to be used.

"Grassroots groups take responsibility for the needs and necessities of
their local environment and community. The power structure flows from the
people to their representatives rather than from the representatives to the
people."

Now here we've got the secret weapon. Free Software projects are about as
decentralized as it can get ;-).

http://www.azgp.org/about.html

Let's take the ideals here and see how Free Software matches up against
them. I think the Green Party will find that Free Software meets their
ideals and proprietary software doesn't.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans