Good Scanners

Lee Einer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:13:55 -0700

Hi, Nathan-

When I switched to Linux, I had a HP parallel port scanner, and ended up
giving it away as I found the configuration issues way too daunting. I
bought a SCSI Epson 636 Perfection, used, for less than $100, and I am
very happy with it. It is much faster than my old parallel port scanner,
which I think is due to the SCSI connection, and it auto-detected and
installed just fine with Mandrake 8.2. I can scan directly into Kword.
Can't scan into StarOffice, but I think that is a bug in Staroffice, not
a limitation of the scanner. It also works great with Kooka, Xsane and
The GIMP.

The Epson came with it's own bargain-basement SCSI card, and
installation was a snap. Unless you are short on PCI slots on your
motherboard, I would highly recommend a SCSI scanner.

Lee Einer