Sound card problem

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Jan 2003 20:25:29 -0700

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 20:08, Scott H wrote:
> >- I have Mandrake 8.2 on a Compaq Deskpro
> >- 4000 and harddrake says the sound card is an
> >- ISA ESS 1869.  If I hit "Configuration Tool"
> >- it pops up a window with a list of sound cards
> >- and the ESS1869 highlighted.  If I hit "OK"
> >- there, I'm told there is an error in the
> >- modprobe call "Can't locate module isa-pnp".
> >- So I guess I need to get this module?  If so,
> >- how do I do that?
>
> > I am redhat not mandrake but...
> > switch to root
> > su -
> > try
> > locate isapnp
> >
> > it should turn up the module in
> > /lib/modules/2.4.xxx/modules.isapnpmap
>
> Yup, it did.
>
> > so I would then turn my attention to
> > /etc/modules.conf
> > make a copy of it
>
> done.
>
> > emacs /etc/modules.conf
> >
> > eliminate all references to your sound card,
> > including things like...
> > save the file and exit
>
> OK, did that.
>
> > then to clean up (some habits die hard)
> > depmod -ae
>
> OK.
>
> > then try...
> > sndconfig
>
> Oops.  No sndconfig on Mandrake 8.2.  Tried
> "apropos sound" but don't see anything useful.
>
> > of course the PCI cards seem to always
> > auto-detect and find an available
> > IRQ/DMA channel...Fry's sells some cheapies for
> > about $10.
>
> May have to get one.  Unless you, or some
> Mandrake guru, has any further suggestions?

----
boy am I dumb and you seem to follow along with me...

run as root 'su -'

kudzu

does it detect your sound card? If so, it should create the entries (or
slightly different entries than the ones that we removed from
modules.conf

I guess that sndconfig didn't get installed but I would bet that it is
on your cd's and you can install it from there.

Craig