plug website idea

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Jan 2003 12:19:11 -0700

Well, this has been interesting. Probably the biggest objection that I
have gotten thus far on linux has been the unidentifiable resources
(software and support).

So the suggestion was made to identify the support resources and I like
that idea and thinking that there were a number of people in the
marketplace doing computer support, I tossed out the concept of putting
together a list of people who could back me up. I had been thinking
about Debian on the system but then backtracked to Redhat since they
seem to be well enough known at least the name.

So I offered to compile a list of people capable of performing at least
on some level, administration on redhat servers.

1 person checked in with me so far, obviously very capable and much more
knowledgable than I am on linux and politely told me that he's
interested but not if sendmail is installed...he won't touch a computer
that has sendmail installed (you gotta love linux people).

So Derek suggests Debian which is making sense to me since there's no
one around town that I can list as redhat backup administration anyway
and I go to www.debian.org/consultants/
and not a single person is listed in Arizona.

So I'm convinced that there is a total vacuum in Arizona for competent
linux support people. I'm convinced that we should have a list of local
support people on the PLUG website.

Craig