Troubleshooting X

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:52:23 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth George Toft on 1/20/2003 02:02 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Kevin Brown wrote:
\_ >
\_ > Stephen Andert wrote:
\_ > >
\_ > >
\_ > > I'm not a total novice, but I may have just gotten lucky on prior linux
\_ > > installations when setting up Xwindows.
\_ > >
\_ > > This time, with RedHat 8, my video card was recognized, but my monitor
\_ > > was not.  But the same machine (video card and monitor) worked fine with
\_ > > some version of RedHat 7.  I didn't think to save anything from the 7
\_ > > installation, since this is only a play system that I'm trying to get up
\_ > > so I can install Oracle and do some additional testing/playing with.
\_ > >
\_ > > The install works fine with a great looking GUI, but when I try and
\_ > > startx, I get (EE) No devices detected followed by no screens found.
\_ > >
\_ > > Any pointers?

If you can remember what resolution you cranked it up to successfully
last time, see if there are generic entries that go by either
resolution or screen size.  I forget where exactly those might be
hiding.

\_ I found out yesterday that MySQL has some issues with RH 8.0 as well.
\_
\_ The "avoid the .0 release" rule strikes again.

Such as?

David