Proposal for non-profit

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
19 Jan 2003 10:32:09 -0700

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 00:38, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > replying to my own post...nobody else is.
>
> I was going to respond, but got side tracked.  My biggest criticism is
> that you site over and over "open source" instead of "free software".
> While you all can view me as a nazi on this subject.
>
> A good deal of what you are trying to "sell" them has crap to do with
> access to the source code and much more to do with the freedoms
> associated with licensing.
>
> Someone in a response to this thread, mentioned "much of this open
> source software can run on windows (apache, php, open office, etc)".  I
> will go one step further and say for governments and non-profits, very
> soon you could see Microsoft offerring the source code.  So when you go
> in cavalier like touting "open source" good, microsoft bad.  It might
> come back to haunt you when they say microsoft is "open source" now too.
>
> > I am totally serious about taking this non-profit completely to open
> > source - they now have 1 windows computer and about 30 Macintosh
> > computers and I don't see how they can continue on Mac's and I can't see
> > starting in with Microsoft Windows at this point.
>
> MacOS X is running pretty strong, I would suspect they could quite
> easily continue on Mac's if they so desired.  Taking that road MacOS X
> and most of its applications are fairly "open source" as well. ;)
>
> > Hardware is unbelievably cheap right now. I am looking at a Compaq ML
> > 530 P2 for $3250. This has 2-Xeon 2.4G processors, 1 Gb ECC RAM, 16 hot
> > swap bays and embedded U3 SCSI in a 7U rack form factor. I think it has
> > an IDE CD (big deal) and no hard drives. Wow that is a lot of iron for
> > little money.
>
> I'm not sure what cheap high end hardware has to do with "open source"
> or even "free software".  I could see if you were making a point that
> lower end recycled hardware was in place.  Stuff that couldnt run
> windows, but maybe could be terminal server material.
>
> Maybe that was the allusion.  That you could get a cheap large machine
> and use existing client machines.  Which would be cheaper than buying
> all new client machines?
>
> > I plan on getting some help with custom programming (now all their data
> > resides in Filemaker Pro), and I will be inviting people on this message
> > boards to do some of the programming to replace this.
>
> I wouldnt under estimate the cost (financial and otherwise) of replacing
> applications.  Remember most users dont care if they are using an etch a
> sketch or a super computer.  As long as they can do their job without a
> hassle.  Getting a 5 year old boy to bathe and change his underwear is a
> chore, so is getting users to change their applications. :)
>
> > There are a lot of people giving lip service to getting government and
> > businesses on open source stuff, but I have an opportunity to make it
> > happen soon.
>
> That's great.  We need more success stories.
>
> > If my proposal sucks, feel free to say so, I'm not looking for
> [...]
------
not at all brutal and exactly the type of critique that I need. I do
need to clarify the terminology and while it may seem like hair
splitting, I fully appreciate the distinction that you are making in
terms of free software and open source and I will definitely get back
into the appropriate places in my proposal and provide further
clarification on these terms.

Are you suggesting that I didn't make it clear the long term value
benefits to a non-profit is the open source (free software) vs
proprietary software? If I failed to make the argument then I haven't
done a very good job at all.

Microsoft could release the source code but ultimately, that wouldn't
make a difference. You may recall that they have had to issue a number
of updates to IE and have now abandoned IE 5.0 and only support 5.5 &
6.0...both of which required you to assent to their revised EULA. It had
the effect of extortion...you will not obtain security updates to your
product unless/until you agree to our new licensing.

I regret making the comments about the low cost hardware and this being
a good time to make the changeover because that took your attention away
from my proposal. I would like to offer that I have verbally made an
effective point with the director, that I didn't try to condense into
the proposal (and perhaps I should)...that the open source offerings
(which I should probably refer to as free software) are a little short
of that which is available for proprietary systems but the objectives
for the non-profit agency is not to have the latest/greatest computer
system, but rather to have a cost-effective system for the long-term and
less vulnerable to the changing tides of intellectual property whims of
corporate driven margins. The overall picture was made clear when we had
a Microsoft VAR suggesting that we could go on our hands and knees
begging Microsoft for special dispensation as a non-profit for
free/cheap licenses, and likewise to Citrix and others. It made it
appear that the Windows route meant a commitment to begging. I gave them
an analogy of a rock pile, which we will continue to break into smaller
and smaller rocks and eventually, it will be sand.

Thanks Derek, that was exactly the kind of critique that I needed. I
will amplify the concept of license suitable free software in addition
to open source.

Craig