Correct setting for display on a TV, Issuses with a winmodem, Citrix

Rob Wultsch plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:52:36 -0700

Hello All,

Background:
I am (again) trying to make the switch to linux. I have no serious
complaints about XP Pro, save ethical issuses (I hate M$). I am tryng to
run Mandrake 9.0. It has been a month and a bit since I last monkeyed
around with Linux.  My system is as follows
AMD 1800+
Abit KG-20 (with PC 97 sound)
256 MB RAM
Generic GeForce2 (64 MB) for TV-out
S3 Virge for monitor
PCTel  Winmodem
55+ GB HD
DVD drive
CD-RW

Current Issuses:

1. TV out problems.
During installation the TV is displayed output correctly. After the
install there is a problem with my Geforce2 is outputing in a
non-functional format (PAL perhaps?). What setting do I need to change
in X and where can I change them? Also, I have not attempted to run
Linux with multiple monitors, I assume this is possible.  Is it as easy
to set up as in Windows, and if so how?

2. Winmodem Issuses:
I have a PCTel Winmodem that is not liking Linux. I have downloded
bootleg drivers for my chipset, but during install I get an error which
suggests that I need to recompile the kernel.
Using step by step instruction from a book  (Linux for dummies, circa
1997) I have attempted to recompile the kernel without success. During
the compilation (Correct term?)  problems do not arise until it hit the
portion that deals with Soundcards... The wheels come off at this point.
I do not have a clue where to go from here except to try a different distro.

3. There is another person that uses a the computer (my mom, I am 19 and
attending ASU) who needs to use Citrix (to check email remotely) on
occasion. I would love to not have to dual boot, so is there a version
of Citrix for Linux, and if so is what are the lisence issuses?

Would any of these issuses be removed by running Redhat 8.0?

Thanks all,
Rob Wultsch
robert.wultsch@asu.edu