Recording Streaming MP3?

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:47:45 -0700

     Is there a way to automagically record a streaming MP3 source?
Specifically, I'd like to record a regular program such as Prarie Home
Companion that is broadcast (and streamed, I presume) by KJZZ on Sundays from
10:00AM to Noon, and Car Talk (Saturdays at 11:00AM for one hour).
     I know how to set up a cron entry but I don't know what program to use
to open a connection such as http://rio.sc.llnw.net:7020/ for reading, write
the output to a file (as mp3 data), and then either terminate after a
specified interval, or die gracefully (and leave the file intact) after a
"kill" from another, companion program written for this purpose (and
undoubtedly named, "the grim reaper").
     Any suggestions on what program to use to read the stream and write it
to a file?

--
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/