GNU/Linux on iPAQ

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:16:22 -0700

der.hans wrote:
> Am 13. Jan, 2003 schwätzte Derek Neighbors so:
>

>>HP/Compaq finally delivered and drop shipped a few iPAQs for GNUe to start
>>some POS/Inventory development on!!!! Okay now that I'm done jumping up
>>and down...
>>
>>Is there anyone out there with experience on installing GNU/Linux on the
>>iPAQ and is there anyone interested in getting experience in doing so?  I
>>think it would be cool to have meeting where we take these and install
>>GNU/Linux on them so more than just myself can get the experience of doing
>>so.  I figured since HP/Compaq was nice enough to donate, I should be nice
>>enough to let others get the experience so they want to go out and buy one
>>for themselves. :)
>

> Bring them to the GNU/Linux Stammtisch a week from tomorrow. We already have
> one potential iPAQ install planned. I just loaded my 3850 a couple of weeks
> ago. I'm trying to get our local iPAQ experts to show up.
>
> What models didja get? Some are easy to load, others aren't.
>
> I have a double-pcmcia sleeve, CF cards, serial cradle for 38xx, 38xx to
> 3[67]xx converter, ...
>
> I also have wired and wireless eth cards that work under Familiar.

This sounds like something I might like to get my hands dirty on.  I can also
bring my laptop (some of you might remember the beast).  I have it working with
my Orinoco wireless card with gps/gpsdrive/xmms/kismet.  Listen to music while I
drive and search for wireless networks :)  Found 55 yesterday while helping
someone move and most of that trip was on the highways.