proxy server

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:26:15 -0700

I dislike networking and system administration/configuration.

Nevertheless, sometimes the network/sysadmin option is less hassle than the
alternative.

Currently I have one land-line.  It provides dial-up internet access and
normally is connected to my primary workstation, running SuSE.
Unfortunately, for some sites you just *need* to use Internet Explorer.
Currently, I unhook the line and plug it into the laptop that runs Windows
2000 Pro.

I'd like to just leave the stupid phone like connected to the SuSE machine.
Unfortunately, I don't know HOW TO set it up as a proxy server (or, for that
matter, how to get the Windows machine to use the SuSE machine once it is
configured to proxy-serve my little LAN.)

Any advice on how to learn to setup a Linux proxy server would be much
appreciated (eg, books, web-pages, even mention of applications and config
files I'll need to tinker with...).