kernel question(was Compaq contura 3/25)

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 02:36:23 -0500

Thanks for to all for the suggestions on solving my problem freedos looks pretty cool but I am trying to learn as much as linux as I can so thats not an option. BasicLinux looks pretty neat too but after doing alittle googlelizing I can up with a great site.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lennartb/rescuedisk/node2.html#SECTION00021000000000000000
It explains in great detail how to build a distro from source for a 386 4mb ram box. The first thing it asks me to do though is download the kernel. It recommends 2.4.18 which I am sure was the stable version when this howto was written. I could not find it at www.kernel.org. So I figured I'd try 2.4.20 I think it should work but my question is this. When I go to download it, it says it is 2.4.20 patch. So is that what I need if not could someone send me a link to exactly where I need to go. I would prefer to get 2.4.18 so I can follow the directions exactly but I'll take what I can get
TIA
Frank Burton