Two apache questions

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:13:01 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Miles Beck wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple apache questions.
>
> I have two domain names, the second domain name is a mispelling of the first.
> We registered this in the event that someone mispells the domain. The
> mispelled name is only one letter off from the correctly spelled name. Which
> is the best way to have someone redirected from www.mispellednamefoo.com
> www.correctlyspellednamefoo.com.

Best way? I would/could do alias, eg a PTR entry,the mispelled to the
correct name in DNS, use a RedirectMatch in httpd.conf to the correct
name, or another DNS apache combined solution could be for a single
machine with no virtualhosts. Which version of apache you use has slightly
different configuration. I'm sure there are other possibilites.

> The second issue is a DocumentRoot issue. On our server the document root now
> is /var/www/. We would like customers to be able to only use the domain name.
> As it is now to get to the customers php page we have to specify the entire
> url to the shopping cart which is /var/www/xcart/customer/home.php. When I
> specified the previous path in DocumentRoot quite a few images were broken and
> then we could no longer log in to the admin page. Would a symbolic link from
> /var/www/xcart/customer/home.php to /var/www/index.html correct this issue?

If you mean
DocumentRoot /var/www/xcart/customer
broke images and you couldn't log into admin which is at /var/www/admin
(assumed) you could make a symlink as long as apache will follow sylinks-
other behavior might break though. An HTTP-Refresh in index.html( I don't
have the exact syntax on hand) could work as well as the RedirectMatch.
Refresh doesn't work in all browsers, RedirectMatch is server side.
Is home.php set as an index page in httpd.conf?