Portable Music

Kyle Faber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 08:49:49 -0700

On fax
 Wednesday 08 January 2003 10:33 pm, Ted Gould wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm thinking about getting something so that I can carry my music aroun=
> with me.  Of course, I want it to work with Linux.  The player that
> seems the most interesting to me is the Rio Riot.  I can't find any inf=
> on it working with Linux, which isn't encouraging.  Has anyone used thi=
> player with Linux?

=09Thinking about going outside, huh?  well let us know how it is and if =
they=20
fixed that pesky "bear attack" bug that was in "Outside 2.4"

=09Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend Rio Volt.  Size of a standard porta=
ble CD=20
player, plays MP3's from cdrs.  That means I have 12x650MB of storage in =
one=20
thin cd carry case.  Supports ID3 tags on the small LCD readout.  Also=20
support directories for organizing and playlisting on the CD.  For instan=
ce,=20
I have mine directorized on the CDs by album, so I can shuffle all 15 alb=
ums=20
on the machine or just shuffle the songs in a particular directory if I'm=
 in=20
a mood.  The only thing i have against it is that it chews through its 2 =
AA=20
battery supply in about 8-10 hours.  I recommend some NiMH rechargeables =
to=20
go with it, plug them in just about every night if you plan to abuse your=
s=20
like I do mine.  Once I bought those, I've never complained once about it=
=2E

Kyle Faber
EMRInternet.com
Account Manager