GCC, C++, and broken linking

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:53:30 -0700

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 10:28 pm, Thomas Tate wrote:
> Also, as a side note, I would not suggest building a C++ application on
> anything older than GCC 3.0 using the STL, as the implementations before
> 3.0 seem to be rather broken (missing classes, etc.)

That's a little harsher then I'd go.  Yes, it's true that gcc3 has *much*
better STL (and the rest of C++) support than the older versions... but I
wouldn't condemn the olders ones.  I did plently of STL programming with
the 2.9x series with few problems.

Now I *wouldn't* go back to the 2.7 series (or older) and expect to do STL,
though :-)
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth@kde.org