OT: bootstraping oneself into IT (was Re:...Sales...Job...)

Gontran Zepeda plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:03:41 -0700

Greetings from the Canadian Praries!

# On 2003-01-08 at 11:43:34 -0700, David Huerta wrote:

> [[ irony of requiring experience to get a job ]]
>
> jobs, etc.  Where can one begin "experience" if they can't even apply at a
> job due to lack of "experience?"

Yes, this is a daunting and seemingly illogical fallacy for anyone looking
to enter the sector -- one I understand coming from a biology background.

In my short experience it seems that to get yourself bootstrapped into the
market you need to find a company desperate enough or cash-strapped enough
to take you in as a gamble or as a last resort.

Which unfortunately for you may translate into high stress levels, long
hours, and lower pay than players with decades of experience.

Which starts to sound like, 'you need to pay your dues' or some other line
of crap.  Which is not what I intended to communicate, but might be the
bottom line.  YMMV.

Gontran
--
'Would Jesus change his MAC address?'