brain dead - deleting the undeletable files

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
07 Jan 2003 20:03:41 -0700

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 07:55, daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2003, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I forgot the command to change the attributes of
> > un-alterable/undelete-able files by root...
> >
> > when rm -fr filename don't work...what does fix the perms?
> >

> chattr : I forget all the flags, but im sure 'man' will provide them :)
> David
-----
yeah that was what I was looking for but that didn't fix the problem.

Turns out the problem is more confusing than that...

I have an AppleShareIP server that I am trying to connect to. There
isn't a client for Apple connections (Netatalk is both an ASIP & DDP
server but not a client).

So I am trying to mount an SMB share from the apple server...

mkdir /mnt/apple

mount -t smbfs -o username=Administrator,password=***** "//server/share
/mnt/apple

so far so good right?

then I try - "ls -l /mnt/apple"
it says ls - /mnt/apple not found
umount /mnt/apple
"ls -l /mnt/apple"
total 0

obvious it has something to do with the AppleShareIP server being a real
poor SMB server but /var/log/samba/smbmount.log shows it connecting and
issuing a pid. /etc/mtab shows the mount...df displays the size/free but
when I mount a share, the mount point becomes unavailable. dmesg &
syslog don't offer any clues of the problem.

This is using RH 8 (samba 2.2.7)

Using RH 7.1 (tried with the other linux box in the place), it just
gives me a protocol error.

Anyone with brilliant or less than brilliant suggestions?

Craig