HIPA and Network Configs

Lee Einer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:17:02 -0700

Gary Nichols wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, George Toft wrote:
>
>><rant>
>>Why would any company risk getting the living snot fined out of them by
>>the Government for non-compliance?
>>

>Ignorance.  Pure ignorance.  Some companies (like the one I work for) take
>it VERY seriously.  Others have their head so far in the sand they are
>fogging up the core of the planet.

True!  My last employer was one of the largest Home Health Agencies in
the country, and when it came to matters of HIPAA, they didn't get it,
they didn't get that they didn't get it, and they didn't want anyone
pointing out that they didn't get it. I expect that down the road, HIPAA
will be the windshield and they will be the bug. Que sera. Wanton
ignorance /should/ be expensive.