Lindows CEO fronts $200k for Linux on xbox

shadow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:01:03 -0700

der.hans wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/01/03/bounty.game.reut/index.html
>
> Personally, I think he should put his efforts into working with Sony to get
> the PlayStation 2 running Linux and blowing the xbox off the market.

Blowing the XBox off the market is what this competition will do.
Microsoft is loosing upwards of $150.00 on each XBox sold.  They're
trying to recoup the costs with royalties from game sales.  If you buy
an XBox below manufacturing costs solely to run Linux and not buying any
games, Microsoft looses money.  Last summer the XBox division lost
$177mil on sales of $505mil.  Even Microsoft cannot sustain losses like
that for more than a few years.  Microsoft will either:  1.  Attempt to
strengthen XBox's DRM (which will fail repeatedly).  2.  Withdraw from
the market (unlikely) or  3.  Change the design of the XBox to be more
like the GameCube and PS2 (by which time the next generation of consoles
will be available.)  Just my $0.02US.

--
Chris Lewis
shadow@digitalnirvana.com