HIPA and Network Configs

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 00:26:47 -0700

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 12:06  AM, Trent Shipley wrote:
> Yes but the problem is that this just seems like idiocy.  If you send
> info
> into the Internet "ether" you *assume* anyone has access to the virtual
> "spectrum" and can eavsdrop on the physical transmission.

Agreed.

> The rule about 802.11x seems arbitary and *stupid*.  Furthermore, one
> would
> expect the auditors to at least acknowledge that is is a bureaucratic
> stupidity.  The point is that the encryption should be private-key for
> the
> local wireless LAN that makes eavesdropping *irrelevant*.

I think it's a matter of them following their audit guide books *cough*
FISCAM *cough* and not connecting the dots, if you know what I mean.....

I have to admit that I'd rather have them clamp down rather than be
ignorant in general.  At least they're trying.
Now if they could just get the economy fixed...

:O)