C++ and programming

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:50:43 -0500

Aaron:
The original Stroustrup book (The C++ Programming Language) is the only one I
consider to be an essential.  You probably have that already, though.  Almost
anything by O'Reilly is good.  I'd been doing C for 12 years before I moved
to C++ so it wasn't a big deal for me, though I still tend to code in a more
C-like style.  Being a newbie, you shouldn't have that difficulty.
I agree with the boredom issue, though.  Programming needs a purpose to be
interesting.  I'd say, pick a problem you want to solve (something trivial to
start with) and create a program to solve it.  Then you can extend that or
move on to new ones.  If you're stumped as to how to start, no problem.  In
the Linux world there are zillions of open-source files out there on the Web.
 Do a google search for an application that does something similar to what
you want to do, then download the source and use it as an example and
inspiration.  All programmers tend to want to reinvent the wheel, and though
I usually recommend against that, in this case, reinventing is good practice.
Good luck!

Vaughn Treude