USB Cameras

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:19:06 -0700 (MST)

I got a Kodak EasyShare DX-4900 for Christmas.  I think it works quite
nicely.

I believe at office depot, best buy, etc you can pick one up for about
$349.99.  It is a 4.0 Mega Pixel and takes very crisp pictures which make
excellent prints even at 8 x 10.

The two things I dont care for are:

1. Battery Life - The nice thing is you have LOTS of options, several
different standard rechargables are supported or for some more money you
can buy the base (which acts as a charger)

2. Weak Zoom - It has 2x Optical, 3x Digital (I think digital is
worthless), in fairness most of the camera's in this range have similar,
so its no worse than its competition here.

The things I like:

1. Price for a 4 mega pixel (2448 x 1632)
2. Directly supported via USB with gtkam. (configured in about 3 minutes
on debian)
3. CompactFlash memory storage
4. Very Very easy to use interface (great if wife or kids need to use)
Basically it will do everything automatically without having to monkey
around and you get nice pictures, very 'point and shoot'
5. Configurable, if you want more than point and shoot and want to use
specific apetures and such you can do so.

-Derek