New kernel

Michael Havens plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 16:24:29 -0700

On Wednesday 01 January 2003 03:04 pm, Bryce C wrote:
> A) change the ~ to a - in your label line
> B) check that /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 does exist
> C) remove the initrd line
> Do all of those and then see if you can boot your new kernel.
> Also, I see you're running mandrake.  Just note that ipvs will fail
> during boot but that's ok as long as this comuter isn't aa firewall.
Well, I did as instructed and there was no change.
Here is the section of lilo we are concerned with:

image=3D/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20
=09label=3Dlinux-2.4.20
=09root=3D/dev/hda5
=09append=3D"quiet devfs=3Dmount"
=09vga=3D788
=09read-only

and here is boot to show that it exists:

[bmike1@localhost bmike1]$ cd /boot
[bmike1@localhost boot]$ ls
boot.0300                kernel.h@              System.map@
config@                  kernel.h-2.4.19-16mdk  System.map-2.4.19-16mdk
config-2.4.19-16mdk      map                    us.klt
grub/                    message@               vmlinuz@
initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img  message-graphic        vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
initrd.img@              message-text           vmlinuz-2.4.20
[bmike1@localhost boot]$

and here is the file that was created after the compilation process:

[bmike1@localhost boot]$ ls
bbootsect*   bbootsect.s  bsetup*   bsetup.s  compressed/  Makefile  tool=
s/
bbootsect.o  bootsect.S   bsetup.o  bzImage   install.sh   setup.S   vide=
o.S
[bmike1@localhost boot]$
(this boot directory is in i386 while the afore mentioned one is in /)

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
--=20