New kernel

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Jan 2003 13:30:17 -0700

--=-QGmEUDuCOx79YI+fEuEf

After configuring the kernel,, either with "make config", "make
menuconfig", or "make xconfig", did you then run "make dep&&make clean
bzzImage modules modules_install"?  That would compile the kernel and
its modules in addition to installing the modules.

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 13:19, Michael Havens wrote:
> You lost me. I can't find bzimage.
>=20
> On Wednesday 01 January 2003 12:19 pm, Bryce C wrote:
> > I don't completely agree.  Yes, do copy (SRC_DIR)/arch/i386/boot/bzImag=
> > (all recent kernels compile the same) to /boot.  You don't need to
> > rename it but you do have to add an entry to either /etc/lilo.conf or
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst for the new kernel.  You can look at the other
> > entries as examples.  Then, if you're running lilo (Why? There are so
> > much better out there), just run lilo to update your MBR.  Restart,
> > choosing your new kernel and hope you don't get a kernel panic.
> > As for kernel.h and system.map, I've compiled and recompiled many
> > kernels and never with those files.

--=20
Bryce C <Plug@BryceCo.Net>
CoBryce Communications