Downtown Users Group

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:29:43 -0500

My two cents:  For a new group, the most appropriate name should be chosen.
For an existing group, name changes are often counterproductive and
confusing.  For example, the Arizona Software Association went through
several name changes and is now the Arizona Technology Council.   The
leadership says it wants to be more inclusive, but in between, it also went
through the cutesy name "azsoft.net"  I suppose they wanted to be free of the
stigma of the dot-com crash.  In any case, if this came to a vote, I'd vote
against changing PLUG's name, but I certainly wouldn't walk out in a huff if
the name change passed.  As Shakespeare put it, "... a rose by any other name
would smell as sweet."
Vaughn Treude

(On the other hand, I changed my company name from Dakota Software to Nakota
Software  because people were confusing my company with another company in
some other state.  But that was easy; all I had to do was print new business
cards.)