some bash help

BoBB plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:07:38 -0700

OK, this works fine in /etc/profile

[ -f /proc/splash ] && \
        # switch to a usable image on all consoles \
        for TTY in `/usr/bin/seq 0 5`; \
                do /usr/bin/splash -s -u $TTY /usr/share/bootsplash-0.4/console.cfg; \
	done; \

But I only want this to happen on the first login so I put a line in the
local startup script to set an env variable, SPLASH to yes, and then
added this to /etc/profile

if [ $SPLASH ]
then
        [ -f /proc/splash ] && \
		# switch to a usable image on all consoles \
		for TTY in `/usr/bin/seq 0 5`; \
	        	do /usr/bin/splash -s -u $TTY /usr/share/bootsplash-0.4/console.cfg; \
		done; \
	export SPLASH=""
fi

But now no matter what SPLASH is set to it doesn't execute the splash
command. I made a test script

#!/bin/bash
if [ $SPLASH ]
then
        echo works
fi

and it works as expected, export SPLASH="" causes it to do nothing,
export SPLASH="yes" prints 'works' anyone have any ideas?

--
/*  BoBB
 *  AIM: Jodokast49 ICQ: 151495596