Kicking remote user off

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:21:05 -0700

> "sundar narayanasamy" <linux@esaravana.com> wrote:
> > I have lot of user who log in and don't bother to logoff. Is there a way
> > could kill their session.

slay is your friend.

       Slay sends given signal (KILL by default) to all processes
       belonging to user(s) given  on  the  command  line.   When
       called without arguments it displays short help.

I'd write a little cron job that checks for largish idle times and then
slays the user. I'd also edit the motd file and explain the policy - "You
need to log off when done using this machine. Users with idle times of more
than 1 hour will be booted off the system."

Tony Wasson