NFS Samba gateway

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:01:31 -0500

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 05:36:48PM -0700, sundar narayanasamy wrote:
/_Hi George,
/_
/_I don't want to install Samba on any Unix system. I want o install Samba on a
/_Linux box and mount NFS shares from Unix to Linux and share the Linux as
/_samba to Win2k systems. That is, between unix servers and Windows 2000 Pro
/_clients there is only one Linux box NFS Gateway.
/_
/_>
/_> Not exactly sure what you are asking, but maybe what I did will help.  I
/_> had a Linux file server with a /share directory.  This directory was NFS
/_> exported, as well as a samba share.  All Window clients and Unix (Linux
/_> & Solaris) clients could mount the same share.

Am I missing something, or are these two the same thing?
George's way does not require Samba on a *nix box, and it
utilizes file sharing in Windows. In short, having
a Liniux box with the directory NFS exported and as a Samba share
is, in a sense, the gateway you are looking for.

v/r
-Mike