Installfest

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:24:00 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, goldenchild@nettaxi.com wrote:

> Would it be possible for someone at the Installfest to teach people how to
> create a Linux Box from scratch, meaning without a distribution CD.  Like
> (sorry, I'm orginally from California), having the Kernel Sources and the
> bare essentials (whatever they are - binutils?, gcc?, make?, modutils?,
> e2fsprogs?. etc?   ) to bring life to a box.... that would be a great
> learning experience for me.

I gave a lecture about that for the Greater Seattle Linux Users Group. I
discussed the essential requirements of a bare Linux system. I also
discussed the benefits of having a package system and a build system for
automating the builds. (I am building a complete new Linux distro from
source.)

I good example of doing thsi from scratch can not easily be taught in a
short Installfest.

If your installfest is in June, I may be able to speak.

It seems like your Installfest is becoming like a regular festival! I am
helping with and speaking at LinuxFest Northwest -- it has lots of events,
lectures, booths, and more. maddog Hall is the keynote speaker.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/

p.s. Please consider removing unnecessary junk when replying to emails.