Installfest

goldenchild@nettaxi.com plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:12:42 -0700

Would it be possible for someone at the Installfest to teach people how to
create a Linux Box from scratch, meaning without a distribution CD.  Like
(sorry, I'm orginally from California), having the Kernel Sources and the
bare essentials (whatever they are - binutils?, gcc?, make?, modutils?,
e2fsprogs?. etc?   ) to bring life to a box.... that would be a great
learning experience for me.

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 01:36 pm, Michael Havens wrote:
Date:    TBA
Time:    TBA
Locale: University of Phoenix (Tempe)

Who wants to burn some instalation CDs for us. I think it would be good to
have 25 -50 of each distribution to hand out with each instalation..

Who wants to burn some Mandrake 9.0?.....How many would you be willing to burn
for us?

Who wants to be there to install them..... Wait. That one installs itself so I
will be one of those installers. Who else wants to do it?

-----

Who wants to burn some RedHat 8.0?...How many would you be willing to burn for
us?

Who wants to install it?

-----

Who wants to burn some Debian?.....How many would you be willing to burn for
us?

Who wants to install it?

-----

How about some other distribution?.... How many can you burn for our little
install party?

-----

Who is going to volunteer to bring their computer in so people can watch each
individual distribution in action?

-----

Who would like to host a presentation? what would you like to teach or show?
We should probably have four or five newbie classes throughout the day and
other presentations as well.

I sure hope that the school will provide the availability of food. If not we
will have to ask the list members for donations..... which brings up another
issue.

My feeling is that we should put an ad into the AZ Republic. As such I called
the AZ Republic classifieds to get a pricing on such a venture. This is what
I was told:

Sunday minimum (3 lines about 20 characters a line) = $30
Saturday minimum = $22
Weekday minimum = $21

I'll give you all a can, which freeway exit do you all want to stand on?

Seriously though, we could probably raise $73 out of the PLUG membership for a
Saturday, Sunday, and then Wednesday advertisement. I will write receipts for
all donations to all who ask for it and then give back whatever change I get.

So let us brain storm! Here is my idea.

For a better computer-
Install Linux- cost=  free.
480-844-1511            and so people will call me for more information.

What do you think? Of course if we get more money we can put more info into
the AD.

-----

Well, we could robably use office supplies to (pencil, papermarkers, tape,
etc) so sign up.

Let's start a list and I will get in touch with you if we need your help or
not.