WAS ->Re: Newsweek featuring Linux. NOW screwups

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:21:16 -0500

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 07:07:27PM -0500, George Toft wrote:
/_Michael Havens wrote:
/_>
/_> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 10:15 pm, Michael Havens wrote:
/_> > I haven't been at it long enough to screw it up to much.
/_>

/_
/_Once upon a time, I made a DNS entry by hand for studyabroadlinks.com (A
/_record), and set up an alias (CNAME) for www.studyabroadlinks.com to go
/_to studyabroad.com.  They were not particulaly pleased as that was their
/_competitor :(
/_

Reminds me of my first Linux install. Redhat 4.0.
It was a dual boot and I had my Win95 install mounted..it was cool,
I had access to all of my win files.
Anyway, I was in some GUI which managed
the users on the system. I was in there "cleaning house" and saw a user
named "Nobody". I went to delete the user and a screen popped up
that asked me if I wanted to delete all files asscociated with this user.
I thought to myself "hell, this is a fresh install, no files where created, why not"
Welp, there went everything. Nothing left in the win partition, nothing.
Many things in those days were owned by the user "nobody" I learned that day :-)
About the only thing I felt I had left at that point is what was in memory :-)

Like George said: You will.

v/r
-Mike