tmpfs, ramfs, memfs

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:11:18 -0500

Liberty Young wrote:
> =

> Anybody have any data comparing tmpfs, ramfs, and other ramdisk like
> filesystems? I have an application with no swap, at 16 to 64 MB ram,
> running on a Compact Flash IDE card. I'm looking for good data on
> whether to use ramfs ramdisk for /var and /tmp, whereas the rest of the=

> OS is mounted ro (to prevent file system corruptions).
> =

I set up my firewall using a ramdisk and I mke2fs in the init script
before mounting all filesystems.  After mounting, I untar the previous
contents into the ramdisk.  I also tar up the contents periodically, and
whenever changing run levels.  Works fine.  Maybe your application will,
too?

George
-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!