Newbie

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:29:38 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Don Fitz wrote:

> Hello all. I am new to the group and new to Linux. I got into Linux
> from using Mac OS X and discovering the world of Apache, PHP and MySQL.
> Naturally I found that the next step would be to actually use these
> fine technologies on the OS they are famous for running on and I really

What about running them on a *BSD operating system, like NetBSD, FreeBSD
or OpenBSD?

Mac OS X is partially based on BSD (with a Mach kernel). This BSD (i.e.
"Berkeley Unix") layer is what makes Mac OS X great for being able to
build and run Unix and Linux software.

The BSDs are very similar to Linux (and Apache, MySQL, PHP is just the
same). Many of the top internet servers are known to run a *BSD.

> like it. I am also going to be running a Linux dedicated server for my
> employer so I look forward to the exchange of information. By the way,
> what does the Linux world think of OS X?

Many think that Mac OS X is not needed for them. The only purpose
(considered by many) for Mac OS X is to run proprietary software instead
of using Windows (especially since Mac OS X also has the BSD layer).

If you just want remote X (XFree86), openoffice.org, Apache, sylpheed,
mozilla, et cetera, then just use regular *BSD (or Linux).

Don, welcome to the world of open source!

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I am biased to open source and BSD: I'm teaching a NetBSD class and
an Apache class in Phoenix next week.